Navigate Up
Sign In
home |  mail |  workspaces |  moodle |  intranet |  contact 


 Information for International Students

New international students still have a little work to do after accepting the invitation to study at UCR. The Admissions Office will inform each international student of what needs to be done to arrange legal residence in the Netherlands. Specifically, non-European students will need to apply for a residence permit; this process will be guided by the Admissions Office.

One informative site to visit with information for all international students arriving to the Netherlands, including information about legal residence in the Netherlands and information about life in the Netherlands, is

The IntRAweek program itself is also geared towards familiarizing you with some of the ins and outs of student life in Middelburg. Should you have any practical questions unrelated to legal residence, you can always e-mail the student association,, who will be happy to answer any of your questions.

Non-European students

New students who do not have an EEA nationality and who do not have a valid Dutch residence permit will need to apply for a visa and/or residence permit. Each student must complete this process prior to the arrival to Middelburg. You cannot do this without the university; the Admissions Office will guide you through this process. The Admissions Office will contact each student with the appropriate paperwork once you have accepted the invitation to study at UCR. For more information on visa, residence permits, please see the Visa & Residence permits page on this site.  

New students who do not have an EEA nationality but who do have a valid European residence permit should send a legible copy of the front and back of the residence permit to the Admissions Office.


When moving to the Netherlands, you will need to take out some insurance. Please see the insurance checklist from Nuffic for more information.

Health Insurance

IMPORTANT: If you do not have a Dutch basisverzekering, you may receive a letter from CVZ. Even though this letter is in Dutch, it contains important information that you need to act upon, otherwise you may be fined. We apologize for the fact that this information is in Dutch, but please refer to these instructions in English on the Nuffic website. in English on the Nuffic website.

You must carry health insurance throughout your stay in the Netherlands. Medical costs are high, so make sure your health insurance covers the Dutch tariffs. To give you an example, one day in hospital can cost up to €1300, not including the cost of treatment. The University recommends the Dutch providers of student insurance packages for students (see below), as the coverage meets all legal requirements in the Netherlands.

Residence permit

To obtain a residence permit you must have an adequate health insurance.

Insured in your own country?

If you are insured via social security or welfare in your own country, you should ask whether there is a reciprocal agreement between your country and the Netherlands with regard to health insurance. If this is the case you should ask for a Health Card (EHIC) from the social security or welfare department in your country before you leave for the Netherlands. This form indicates that you are insured against medical costs in the Netherlands. Make sure that your health insurance covers the Dutch tariffs, as medical costs are (very) high!

Make sure you always carry proof of health insurance with you, because you will need it whenever you use one of the health services in the Netherlands. If you have a private health insurance, you should ask whether it covers your stay in the Netherlands. Please note that some insurance companies only extend foreign coverage for a few months. If necessary, you can arrange private health insurance upon arrival.

The Dutch health insurance system

Dutch nationals are insured through a basisverzekering (basic health insurance package), and have the option to extend this coverage with additional packages. Dental care and prescription glasses are usually not covered in a standard Dutch policy, nor does it cover all costs incurred during pregnancy, childbirth and postnatal care.

This basisverzekering is also required for certain international students:

  • Students of all ages who have a (part-time) job.
  • Students over 30 years old who plan to stay for more than one year.

For more information about the basisverzekering and the regulations surrounding it, visit the Nuffic website, and read the fact sheet on ‘health insurance for foreign students in the Netherlands’. Please note that if you are required to have a basisverzekering but you do not apply for it, you may be fined.

Student insurance packages

If you are not required to take out a basisverzekering, you can apply for an insurance package offered by a private company. AON offers an insurance package for international students. This insurance package covers medical expenses, extraordinary costs, legal aid, accidents, liability and baggage cover and household goods. We strongly recommend that you apply for this insurance. The premium is approximately €39 per month. You will find more information about the conditions on the AON website.

Personal liability insurance

Personal liability insurance is not compulsory but strongly recommended. It insures you against costs incurred if you cause damage to someone else or their possessions (for example: if you cause a traffic accident with your bicycle or as a pedestrian). You may be able to arrange such insurance prior to arrival in the Netherlands (in combination with your health insurance). Otherwise it will have to wait until you are here. Personal liability is included in the student insurance packages. Don’t forget a good travel insurance and check your car insurance if applicable.

Fire and theft insurance

This insurance is not obliged, but most Dutch people have a fire and theft insurance. You can insure your personal belongings such as audiovisual equipment, cd´s, books, jewellery, clothing etc. against theft from a locked space and fire and water damage. The premium depends on the value of your personal belongings.

​Questions about life on campus as an international student? Feel free to contact our admissions office:

University College Roosevelt

Admissions Office

P.O. Box 94

4330 AB Middelburg

The Netherlands